Thursday, January 22, 2004

from bad to worse....

Just when I thought things couldn't get any harder, they just have. I got a phone call from my wife's sister yesterday afternoon. She sounded upset, but wouldn't say anything apart from 'Get her to call me. Our mother's really ill'. I tried calling my wife, but she had her mobile switched off, so I got out of work as quickly as possible and pedalled home. When I arrived, I gave her the message, she called, and just crumpled. Her mum's been diagnosed with terminal cancer, and it looks like her father's in a bad way too. It looks like she may have only weeks to live. My wife booked her flight back to Turkey last night: She goes on the 30th and will stay two weeks. I spent half the night comforting her, or trying to. What the hell could I say to her? I felt numb. Now, on top of the financial problems, we have this, which is way more important.
My own side of the family, too, has problems: My grandfather is in hospital, and my dad's wife has breast cancer. It is really being brought home to me, hard, how much my family will need to rely on me over the next few years. And I need help myself. Oh God, please give me strength!

No comments: