Monday, October 13, 2003

One of the things that gives me joy in this job is the weird variety of western names that the Chinese students give themselves. I often wonder why: I dislike using them, as it strikes me as a kind of colonialisation of the person. Then again, maybe they dislike having their real names mashed out of all recognition in the mouths of their teachers. Some of them have had names given to them by British, Australian and, in particular, American teachers back in China. These instructors clearly take a deeply sadistic pleasure in giving them, as evinced by some of the following examples:
Fanny (who rapidly changed her name to Judy after finding out its slang UK meaning)
Monty ( a name not used in anger since about WWII)
Branch
Clementine
Jet
Ames
Patty
Stimpy (yeah, I wonder if he had a friend named Ren?!)
Woodstock
and two of my favourites:
Nemesis (a thin, weedy kid with really big glasses)
Turbo (Small, rotund, very slow with a dead hedgehog for a haircut)

No comments: