Sunday, March 23, 2003

I love thinking in the shower. It�s one of those few oases of zen-like calm where I know I�m not going to have a �Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!� or a �Paul, buraya gel� bawled into my ear every few seconds. Well, in theory at least: My son occasionally starts banging on the door. Anyway, I�ve just showered, warm spring sunlight flowing through the window as warm water dripped over me, and I was thinking, first, of thinking in a shower: The times, the different places and circumstances under which I have thought in showers and what I have thought about. I remembered wallowing in a really hot bath somewhere in North Wales, formulating theories on Brecht; A creaky, limescaled shower in Izmir on a roasting hot morning, pondering the differences between Turkish and English; A tiny shower cubicle in Istanbul, circling through my mind the enormities of fatherhood on the day my son was born; And so on, and so forth. What else was on my mind this morning? Well, I had, and still do have, that really annoying David Beddingfield track (you know, the whispery, whingy one) running through my head. A deeply irritating song. Above that, I was thinking vaguely of the Gulf War, and then notions of evil, and what it is. I reflected that evil is, like good, a relative, subjective notion. From many points of view, I can be seen as a good person, but from the perspective of a devout Christian or Muslim my lifestyle will earn me a place in Hell, and consequently I must be evil. Strange, I don�t feel particularly wicked. Then I reflected that, from the viewpoint of religion at least, being good to people will not necessarily hand you a ticket to heaven. You have to embrace the entire philosophy too. However, God doesn�t philosophise, being omniscient, humans do. Ergo, to follow a particular religious philosophy is to stray into error, human thought being erroneous. QED.
Thinking about thinking, I thought about how my intellectual curiosity has dimmed somewhat over the last couple of years. My view of the world has narrowed, which is strange. Then I thought, well, hold on, isn�t it actually a case of the more learning, the more one becomes aware of one�s limitations and ignorance? Then I replayed in my mind an argument I once had with someone concerning this subject. I returned briefly to evil as I washed my legs, thinking that I had never met anyone that I would really classify as evil. However, I corrected myself as I brought to mind the image of someone who shall remain nameless, but who I considered to be about as evil as I could imagine. Following that, I tried thinking in French, just for practice, then in Turkish, ditto. The latter was far more successful than the former. As the water splashed over me, I let my mind wander vaguely, then I wondered at my own vagueness. I slightly amused myself at the link between �wander� and vague (from Latin, I believed � vagus (wander)), then I considered how I love to distract myself from my very real problems with anything that comes to mind, which led me to think about writing down that which you have just read.

No comments: