Monday, June 26, 2006

Mneeurrgghh. Monday and raining. So far, a somewhat tedious day of filing, sorting and planning and sorting out other people's IT problems blah blah blah. I'm already missing teaching - even my dull as ditchwater Academic English IFP group.
Annnyway, what to write? On friday, I went out with a group of students from the evening class. Nothing too special - we met at the Back of Beyond and chewed the fat over this, that and the other. Afterwards, I ended up at The Purple Turtle, where I haven't been for a couple of months. Thoroughly drunk, I propped up a corner and watched the joyous mayhem unfurl. The music crackled back and forth, ranging from sublime to ridiculous and back again - The Jam's 'Town Called Malice', followed by some Kylie, then chasing on its heels Liam Gallagher, and the rest of the bar, yelling 'Is it My i-MAG-i-NA-Tiion...' A sense of carefree, playful summer was in the air; It was a moment, one of many I have had there, where only the moment exists, only the ever-moving feast of pleasure that is now, an atmosphere that I have never really encountered anywhere else. It's quite probably the best bar in the world - if you love loud music, loud people, squalid floors and really bad bar fug.

No comments: