Monday, October 02, 2006

In Death, as in Life...

...Naff rules. Look at this list of the top ten most requested songs for a funeral:
TOP POPULAR FUNERAL SONGS
1. Goodbye My Lover - James Blunt
2. Angels - Robbie Williams
3. I've Had the Time of My Life - Jennifer Warnes and Bill Medley
4. Wind Beneath My Wings - Bette Midler
5. Pie Jesu - Requiem
6. Candle in the Wind - Elton John
7. With or Without You - U2
8. Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton
9. Every Breath You Take - The Police
10. Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers
Source: The Bereavement Register

Dear God in Heaven. Who'd want to be sent to the harp farm to the strains of James 'Rat-faced posh tit' Blunt? why would I want the dull thud of earth on my coffin lid be accompanied by some really, really bad 80's pop song? why? If I played these at my own funeral, and by and large it is the deceased's choice, you would have to kill me if I weren't dead already. It just proves the generally utterly execrable taste of most people in this country, and their sentimentality, which is the last bastion of those with no sense of emotion. Instead, they are encouraged to think that love, hate, pain, sorrow, the whole gamut, is expressed through some shoddy three minute songs; Readily-available emotions on your iPod.

No comments: