Tuesday, July 06, 2004

It's 4.39, and near the end of a very long day. I've been here since 8.00 this morning, organising the summer school, getting teachers to cover classes, arranging trips and posters and handbooks blah blah blah. So far, we have a grand total of six students for the class: this is six more than we were anticipating this time last week. I managed to extract from the International Ofiice Coordinator, at five o'clock last friday, the list of people expected to come, which meant I had to frantically prepare a load of junk after that. I was the last person left in the building, apart from the miserable porter, who goes round swinging his keys and rattling doors - something I'm sure is a typical behaviour of porters, janitors and doormen everywhere. Oh well, only 17 days to holiday time.
You know that most people grumble about teachers and holidays, thinking them lucky to have so much, to which the teachers riposte that they have to attend conferences, mark and prepare things etc? Well, let me tell you, we teachers are lying! Yes, we get 40 days' paid holiday each year, and we bugger off to exotic locations to get drunk off our asses! Ha ha ha!
I have, I must point out, made up one of the points above. We can never afford to go to exotic places: Instead, we just go to a different bar for the duration.

No comments: