Tuesday, June 22, 2004

The kind of day at work that I like - one where I don't have to teach anyone, but can indulge in creating wierd and wacky new materials to use in class. Who the bloody hell am I kidding? 'Wierd and wacky', indeed. By and large, Materials for ESL students are worthy, uncontroversial and dull. One of my profession's Prime Directives is, 'Don't Panic/Offend/In any way Enrage/Engage the interest of the Punter', so it means that sex, drugs and politics are off the menu. What the Hell else is there to talk about? I'd just love to do a vocabulary lesson based around a good ol' saturday night out in the UK. Let's see, which lexical items could we use?....
To drop a tab
Score some drugs/E's/Dope etc (well, you should cover all possible collocations)
Blingin' and Bling bling
To get arseholed
To get jiggy
and so forth, and so on.
What I have actually done is design a course for the summer school programme, for which I now have to book a series of outings, and design an interview protocol to follow up on students' research assignments.
What Fun.
The football - well, what can you say? Good, but it would have been better to have been down the pub watching it rather than stuck at home. More than made up for, however, by the presence of a bottle of raki, from which I had a few glasses accompanied by some beyaz peynir, haydari, salata, ekmek, kofte ve bulgur pilavi. Yum!

No comments: