Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Fatherhood once again. Bluh.



As you may have seen from previous photos, my wife, Nur, is pregnant, not overfed on pies. Proof of this is the pic on the left, done by 3D tomography, of the incipient homunculus. Modern technology - marvellous, innit guv'nor?

This young person, of whom I shall reveal more around the event, is due in November, but because of size restrictions (the baby is BIG, while Nur is tiny) will probably be delivered by C-section on or around October 25th. A welcome sibling for Angus, who is excited by the prospect: A complete family for Nur, the standard model.

You may have noticed by my tone that I do not seem entirely ecstatic at the prospect of fatherhood second time round; This is because I'm not. I dread and/or resent the following:

  • sleeplessness and not getting a decent night's sleep for the next 3 years;
  • crying, puking, childhood illnesses and nappies;
  • five more years of penury - new children are bloody expensive;
  • the prospect of trying to find somewhere bigger to live, and not being able to afford it;
  • the mind-numbing boredom of playing with young children;
  • the terrible Twos phase, followed by the Tiresome threes, Fearful Fours, Feckin' Fives etc etc.
  • Having to watch, over and over, until my brain crawls out of my ears and finds somewhere to hide, the same episodes of Teletubbies, Thomas the Tank Engine, Toy Story, Tweenies, Fimbles, and especially, Roly Poly FUCKING Olie (see previous entries)
  • Not getting a moment's peace, EVER.

However, a life is a life, and a child is a child, and still precious, and despite all the pety miseries and tribulations that lay ahead, I will still love and cherish the little wotsit.

I'll just have to get a job that means I spend very little time at home.

No comments: