Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Activist?

Someone asked me, nearly a year ago, 'Why aren't you involved in some kind of activism? You're intelligent, you clearly have a strong set of beliefs, and you're a natural communicator'.
My answer?
'It's surprising to me that I'm not an activist'. And I was surprised by my answer.
Why am I not involved in some kind of political activity? It's true, I do have a set of ideals, but do I actually believe in them? Do I have faith?
I have always been turned off by group movements, I must admit; where others see the solidarity of a band of people, I can just see the mob, and I find it difficult in my mind to discern the difference between a war march and a bunch of football supporters. I am not trying to be flippant. Although there are clearly differences, there is also one clear similarity - the sense of smugness, an emotion I find utterly abhorrent. one group says 'I am doing right', the other says 'I support the best team'. In other words, there is no doubt in the war marcher's or the football supporter's convictions. And doubt is something that has plagued me through my life.
I have recently brought into question in my own mind the function of doubt. In some ways, it has served me in good stead: I am keenly observant of what goes on around me, and I can usually predict and head off situations long before they become problems. However, it has also served in the role of a rather negative editor and censor in my head, and prevented me reaching out to do all the things I am capable of doing. Oh, I do well in my job - for those of you who haven't read this before, I am a lecturer in EFL - but I am keenly aware that there is more, more, more that I can do. And doubt has stopped me. It stops me, and means I tend to revert to bad habits, like drinking far too much or slouching in front of the TV for hour after hour.
This is part of the reason that I decided to do the three peaks challenge - to shake off doubt, and have a little faith for once.
If I am to become an activist, I must first begin with being an activist for myself.

No comments: