Thursday, May 13, 2004

Jesus is coming - look busy!

One of my students wears a black wristband with the initials �WWJD� on it. I spotted this while we were doing some listening exercises.
�What�s that?� I asked.
�It�s a wristband�, said Edward.
�Yes, I can see that, I mean what are the initials for?�
Tony piped up, smiling.
�He�s a Christian. It�s for �What Would Jesus Do?��
What would Jesus do, indeed. I had images of Him wondering through the college canteen, picking over the various articles of what is laughingly called �food� there. What would He do? Go for the ploughman�s lunch, only �2.99. That and a slush puppy. Now he�s in a language exam: What will He do? That�s right, get every answer correct, seeing as He�s omniscient! My, but he�d be an annoyingly smug bugger to teach�.
Asking, in any given situation, what Jesus would do seems to me a bit of a no-brainer, in that He would either do nothing, as stuff would just happen around Him anyway, or, to be trite, be meek and mild. Or rather, Meek and Mild. Aggressively Meek.

No comments: